The Intown Club of Cleveland was founded in 1927 as a luncheon club by prominent women who were seeking both stimulating conversations and friendships. By 1934, membership had grown so large that the Club had to abandon its initial meeting space and move to new quarters which were found at 1375 Euclid Avenue, the present-day Idea Center. Situated initially on the sixth floor, the Club moved to the third floor in 1967.
In 1952, a program series with lectures and gallery exhibitions was inaugurated. Today, the Club enjoys stimulating weekly lectures , rotating exhibitions of the work of local artists and a wide variety of “special events” which include evening programs, visits to local points of interest, theater outings, holiday celebrations and an annual Garden Party. The Club maintains reciprocal relations with a number of local clubs, a variety of clubs across the United States and clubs in London and Paris.
In 1999, The Intown Club welcomed its first male member through a policy that offers membership to the surviving spouse of a deceased member. This option has been well-received and offers an opportunity for the spouses to continue to enjoy the stimulating programs and camaraderie they enjoyed with their member wives.
The results of a Strategic Planning survey in 2007 led to the reconfiguration and redecoration of most of the Club’s third floor suite in the Idea Center in 2008. The main dining room was renovated in 2011. Additionally, in 2008 a decision was made to close the Club’s full-service in-house kitchen and to outsource the Club’s dining and catering needs to a professional caterer.
As technology has become a part of both work and home spaces, the Club has incorporated ever-increasing amounts of technology into our program presentations and club communications.
In 2014, The Intown Club was granted 501 (c) (3) status in recognition of its educational and arts-related programming.